Friday, December 01, 2006

Crunchy Granola Suite

A group of friends and I attended a concert at the Metro last week. As we entered the 18 and over show, we were carded at the door. We had our bags inspected by security and I use that term loosely. The female security officer stuck her hand in my purse and rummaged around. She pulled out a Kashi granola bar from my bag and yelled at me about sneaking food into the concert. (Because, who doesn't want to have a granola bar and a beer at a show?!?) She wouldn't let me pass unless I threw the granola bar away. I, calm as ever (or not at all), replied something to the extent of why would I eat an f-ing granola bar at a concert and tossed the thing in the trash and entered the Metro.

Continuing onto checkpoint #2, I was carded by a guy who asked me if I had any gum. Still a little pissed off about the Kashi, I asked him “why, do you need to confiscate that too?” Poor innocent carding guy. All he wanted was a piece of gum. I offered him a Tic Tac. Finally inside, I made my way to the bar, because after all this, it was necessary.

Flash Forward to encounter with random drunk girl in bathroom later in the evening. I pulled some lotion out of my purse for a friend, so that we could curb the tavern smell she had about her – more on that story in a different post. We struck up a conversation with this girl about the neighborhood attacks and such. (Have no idea how that became bathroom fodder). Anyway, short story long, she said that she didn’t go anywhere without her pepper spray and blade. And then she pulled them out to show us them.

Could someone explain how the Kashi is the more of a threat than pepper spray and a knife? Was I going to cranberry them to death?

No comments: