Thursday, December 07, 2006

There's Never a Wish Better Than This

My friend Jen wrote about the new TBS show, "My Boys," and I have to concur with her on its addictiveness. I love it for the Chi-Town references. I love that the guys in the show remind me of my own guy friends. Selfishly, I would like to believe that the heroine in the show is a bit of a blend of all my girl friends.

I mean, really, PJ has the best life. She goes to work at Wrigley every day - which has been my life long dream. She covers the Cubs, drinks beer, hangs out at a tavern with board games and red and white checked tablecloths and mocks the clubby bar she gets dragged to in one of the episodes. She is the everywoman for the sports-minded, Chicago single girl. I realize it is a TBS show and that may be off-putting, but it is funny and entertaining and has great Chicago shout outs that only city folk will catch.

Incidentally, and I am bummed that I didn't put two and two together when this happened, I inadvertently attended a post show party. Those of you that know me, know the tavern I call home. If you have seen the shows and noticed similarities between my bar home and PJ's, it is no mistake. That pub was modeled after mine.

I know this because there were several cast members (again I realize this in hindsight) at my tavern celebrating wrapping up shooting. At the time, we all only knew that they were filming something that was based on my tavern. Of course, all of us thought this was weird, since they hadn't really asked many of us about the bar and how could they base it on our bar and not want to talk to the regulars and employees?!? Well, they did and did a pretty good job at that. I laughed out loud at the episode where the shy-guy friend kept playing jenga. It was just another regular Friday night at my bar.

That being said, I can say that I was there when it all started. I just wish I had known that at the time.

On a side note, I just noticed that this was my 100th post. Seems like I should take a mini-moment to acknowledge that. I want to thank Phylisa for making me start this blog. My readers are few, but it is an outlet that has kept me writing and I am forever grateful for that. Another shout out goes to Jen, for keeping me honest and reminding me when I slack on my writing duties. I am forever grateful to them and all of the amazing people in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I really want to know is which of the writers/creators has ties to Chicago? And when were they drinking at the 1300?

I only saw the two shows they sent me. I need to set the DVR!

Dea said...

They were at 1300 a few weeks ago. I was randomly there. Dave B.'s brother, Mike, got his phone autographed by the brother random-but true. Apparently, the guy who plays Bobby (who is seriously cute) was drinking with Dave B. I saw most of them, without ever realizing it. And you need to DVR it. Super good.