Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Just Call Me Angel In the Morning

Again, another entry started and never finished. What was that they say about the road to hell?

So the rush of the holidays is over and my sister and I are sitting in the "guest" room getting ready to go shopping. Yeah, we are those people. We like to shop the day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas. (Actually, I think my sister would shop any day of the year!)

Christmas was a lot of fun - and that is the understatement of the century. My sister picked me up on Saturday and we ran a few errands on our way to my parents. We got there and I was a one-woman Christmas organization machine. My mom was stressing out (a family tradition) and we kept having to remind her that this was Christmas Eve-Eve. We all showered and dressed for church - yes, my mom insisted that we double dip and go twice this weekend. We were running a bit late (okay, twenty minutes late), but we wanted to leave straight from church to go downtown. 20 minutes by Catholic standards is bad, but not horrible. In a holiday season, it is usually at the 2nd reading or so. Maybe the Gospel, but nothing more. My church rule is if we see parts of both halves of the mass, you are good to go. Well, wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles (and after I got finished saying, "wouldn't it be funny, if mass was half over?"), we walked in at the consecration. Mom was not too happy with us.

After church, we headed downtown. We stopped at Chriskindlemartket, which lost a little bit of its luster this year. I don't know why, but there was something missing. It might have had something to do with the woman refusing to sell me the souvenir mug - the one that I buy every year to commemorate the trip to the market. She was worried about selling out of the Glogg. Really? I have had the Glogg there and I wouldn't have worried.

We went to Macy's to see the tree and look at the windows. I will say that the tree was as beautiful as is every year. The windows were nice. The inside of the store looks like a glorified Target. Macy's has a long way to go to impress me - at least when it comes to their State Street Store.

After dinner, my dad let me drive home - a rarity for me these days. I can wholeheartedly say that I learned two things that night: I am not good with SUV's and you should never take an SUV (when you are not good at them) in the Express Lanes. I was glad to get home.

Christmas Eve was lovely - all my favorite foods. Christmas Morning was amazing. I got a video Ipod, which was not anything I thought I would get. It was a true and wonderful surprise. I love it. I loved watching my dad in his robe in the living room playing with the radio controlled helicopter we bought him. (Sorry Mom). I loved that my mom and sister liked their presents - though given the extravagance of my gift, I wish I had gone overboard for them.

All in all, it was a perfect few days. I am excited to get my shopping shoes on and hit the sales racks...

No comments: