Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Blessing and A Curse

So it’s official – I am no longer a car owner. My car (a.k.a submarine) was a total loss. Part of me is grateful – no more car payments; no more moving my car based on night games, street cleanings and school days; no more overpriced gasoline. Part of me is sad – no more picking up and heading home for no reason; no more jumping in my car to visit my sister; no more jumping in my car, plugging in my ipod and driving just to clear my head.

The city girl in me is able to go anywhere – via bus, L or cab. The suburban girl misses transportation that doesn’t involve waiting for signals.

I think I am mostly sad because that car was supposed to be my ticket to adulthood. When I bought my first car (leased) at 21, I got a Pontiac Sunfire. It didn’t have power anything except for the sunroof and it was a low-budget, reliable car. The day I picked out the car, the salesman told me that this could be my starter car. (I had only been out of school for 3 weeks or so). He told me that when my lease was up, I could move up to a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

Well, he was one hell of a salesman, because when my lease was up, I moved up to the Grand Am. I think I believed that the more grown up car meant that I was more grown up. Well, those that know me, know that the car found its way into a lot of disasters...and in the same breath, I don't feel much more grown up than I did 5 years ago.

I guess there is really nothing I can do about the car situation -- it has probably already been stripped for parts and such. I suppose I will just have to work on being a grown up...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's another "no more":

NO MORE INSURANCE!!