Tuesday, October 10, 2006

But the truth is not the same without the lies he made up

I'm not sure how I feel about this myspace thing. I created a profile a year ago, because a friend invited me to it. I let it stay dormant for the better part of the year.

Then I had some friends I hadn't talked to in 10 years find me and that was great. What an interesting place this myspace is...a place that lets you connect with people you might have lost. It seemed like a great invention.

Then again, someone posted a mock Laurie Dann profile on myspace. It may have gone unnoticed to many, but I lived through that nightmare - it was a bit too close to home. The school she attacked was 2 blocks from mine and I knew one of the victims. That event changed schools forever. A year later buzzers were installed and doors were locked. School was no longer the safe haven that it had seemed to be.

Why someone thought it was a good idea to post her profile, I will never understand. It has since been removed by the myspace people, but it makes me wonder. It makes me wonder about this space. This space where people create a profile and write their thoughts and ideas. Who are the people behind the profiles? Are they who they really present themselves to be?

Is the interesting guy with a profile like yours really a guy? Is he single or is he being deceiving? It is a hard thing to tell on the internet. I have always been one to believe in the goodness of people, but this place makes me a bit of a skeptic. I like to look into someone's eyes and see the honesty. You can't do that in a staged photo with a blinking online symbol. So for now, I will wait and see. See what this myspace has to offer.

On the one hand, it has let me link up with friends around the country. On the other hand, it is not the same as sitting across from someone and having a conversation.

No comments: