Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Orange You Glad The Bears Won?!

So last night, out of their a$$es, the Chicago Bears pulled out a victory. It had nothing to do with the offense and for a long time it had nothing to do with the defense either. I’m pretty sure that they won that game because N. and I willed it to be true. (And maybe because of Brian Urlacher). However, no two people could have rooted harder, cheered louder or done more for a victory.

We drank orange and blue shot concoctions (not good at all and the first batch ended up green). We traded shirts. (I have always worn orange during the games, I now know better than to ever wear navy). We drank ‘orange and blue’ beers – a.k.a. Octoberfest and Blue Moon – a.k.a not so good. We ate orange slices. We sent her mom home (she had never watched games with us before). We almost made a couple leave the bar (they had never watched the games together). We sat down. We stood up. We switched seats. We drank our beers with orange juice – well I had to – I was still trying to make up for not wearing orange earlier in the game. We drank our beers in thirds – every time there was a key moment. We screamed so much we nearly lost our voices. We sang Bear Down after every score. We sent inappropriate text messages. We lured downtrodden Bears fans walking past the bar into the bar to join the rally. N. shouted “Wide Left” at the TV when Rackers was attempting the field goal.

And they won! Those damn, crazy, lucky as hell Bears won. And I am exhausted. Although, I was not so exhausted to stay out way past my bedtime, still drinking orange and blue beer, singing Bear Down, Sweet Home Chicago and the Superbowl Shuffle. Yeah, we shuffled. I am pretty sure that we shuffled about a dozen times. It became funny when we assigned parts (I was the punky QB). I loved that throughout the game it was N., me and two couples at the bar. Fifteen minutes after victory, our friends all filed in – with the same exhaustion and exuberance in the eyes. And then the party really started.

It was probably the most stressful and most fun game I have watched in a long time. And I am grateful for the bye – I need to recover. And just so everyone is ready for the for the October 29th game against the 49ers…

Bear Down
Bear Down, Chicago Bears.
Make every play clear the way to victory!
Bear Down, Chicago Bears.
Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation,
With your T formation.

Bear Down, Chicago Bears.
And let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy,
of all Illinois.

Chicago Bears, Bear Down!

No comments: