Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Where At Least I Know I’m Free

There are a lot of things wrong with this country. I could spend hours writing about improvements we need to make - healthcare, worker's rights, education, child care...I could go on and on. I could spend days writing about the democrats taking back the Senate and House, Rumsfeld's resignation and the scandals of recent days. To cover G - Dub(ya) and all his shenanigans, I could spend a lifetime at the computer.

And that is what is right about this country. I can speak my piece – peacefully. I have the right to agree (or disagree) with the government. I can practice my faith (or have no faith at all). I can assemble. I can select a government through an election process. After participating in a free election, I can sit back and watch the peaceful transition of power. That is the thing I find most miraculous. Every 4 – 8 years, the supreme leader of this country abdicates power to a newly elected individual. There is no coup de tat. There is no violence. There is just a transfer of power. It really is amazing.

To that end, I would like to take a second to thank those that have defended these rights and privileges for me. (I am remiss in that I am 3 days late on this one)

For those that fought the Revolutionary War, because they believed that taxation without representation was wrong. (I’d like to thank my relative, John Hart, for signing the Declaration of Independence).

For those that fought the Civil War, because they believer that no man (woman or child) should be considered property of another.

To the men and women of World War I and World War II, who fought for their country and defended the democratic ideal.

To the veterans of Korea and Vietnam, who fought in conflicts that were not recognized as wars until years later. The controversy that surrounded these wars made it difficult for those who participated in them and yet there are those that answered the call of duty (or draft) and served their country honorably.

To those members of the military in active service around the world, especially those in Afghanistan and Iraq, our thoughts and prayers are with you and for you.

Regardless of my opinions on this current conflict, I will always proudly support the men and women of the military. They risk their lives every day, defending my rights.

And so, Happy Veteran’s Day to All, but especially my dad (Vietnam Vet – whom I couldn’t be more proud), my friend’s father (proud Marine until the day he passed), my friend Jimmy (career Navy), a kid I used to baby-sit for, which is wrong in many ways (Afghanistan) and my friend’s husband (just returned from Iraq). God Bless America.

No comments: