Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Reflections of

So, Miss Jen G. wrote all about her tv obsessions and I had to chime in with mine. I wish that they were a more refined (mature) selection, as hers seems to be, but I grew up on the Greatest American Hero and developed with Brenda and Kelly on 90210 (though they seemed to have had some help) and I like the drama and the cheese. So for the picking apart by the masses, here is my TV viewing guilty pleasures - mostly in order of the way I watch them:

Football, Football, Football: Love it / Can't get enough of it.

The Amazing Race (insert number here): It is the only game show I still really love. I love seeing all the countries, customs, catty behavior and tasks.


Cold Case: Started watching this, because CBS kept running 60 Minutes over and into The Amazing Race and the only way I could make sure that I had tivo’d the whole episode was to also tivo Cold Case. I am convinced that this was a conspiracy by the network.

How I Met Your Mother: I completely missed the boat on this one and only started watching it, because tivo thought I would like it. (Tivo was right). I think the writing is generally hilarious and that Neil Patrick Harris couldn’t be funnier.

CSI: Miami: Damn this franchise, I seem to watch them all. The more I watch, more I love to make fun of David “We’re going to go catch the criminal” Caruso. (Or whatever that week’s monotone quote while staring at the camera and putting on his sunglasses).


Gilmore Girls: Yeah, still watch it. Will say that while I liked Luke and Lorelei, I was always secretly pulling for Christopher. Feel the show would’ve been different had he not thought he should be on “I’m With Her.” Regardless, I have always loved the fast-paced, overly-peppered-with-pop-culture conversations between the Gilmore Girls.

Veronica Mars: I take credit for getting many obsessed with this show and rightfully so. It is witty, dark, suspenseful and a guilty pleasure. It is the dark side of a Buffy or a 90210. And Jen, Lilly Kane’s murderer is…just kidding – couldn’t do that to you.

3 lbs: Have no idea if I will like it. Tivo’d it to see. Will keep you posted. I really want to like it, because I love Mark Feuerstein and Stanly Tucci. I hope it is not another Studio 60 moment. (a.k.a. Great cast, great idea…still trying to figure itself out).

America’s Next Top Model: I blame my boss for this one. I only started watching it this year. I will say, I enjoy counting how many times Tyra says the phrase: ‘you are still in the running to be America’s Next Top Model’ – insert dramatic pause here.

Top Chef: Something had to fill the Project Runway void.

CSI: NY: God Bless CBS and the innertube. I love that I can watch this show for free (hint, hint NBC) on the Internet. I really like this show more and more.

Ugly Betty: Finally a heroine that is not skinny and perfect. I love America Ferrera for her Curves and her Pants. She has you cringing and cheering for her almost all the time. The weird not-dead Fay plot is odd and campy, but in a fun way. This is probably my favorite new show.

CSI: The original is always the best.

Grey’s Anatomy: Yep, I watch it. In all its nighttime soap-like drama. It is corny and sometimes contrived, but McDreamy is hot and the music is always good and on a Thursday night it fits in well with my routine.

ER: Like Jen, I am back on this one. I hadn’t really left it, but I have re-devoted myself to it. It seems they have gone back to doing what they do best – drama in the ER. They have the new Doug Ross a.k.a John Stamos as Gates. They brought in a new Romano – a.k.a Crenshaw – who is equally irritating in a fun way. They have infused the cast with enough old and new and upped the stories a bit. All in all, this has been one of the best seasons in awhile.

The Office: Slow to catch on to this one too, but am obsessed now. Love Jim and Pam. Have not seen an episode I haven’t liked. Note to NBC, now that you used iTunes to save the show (yep, we all saw the article) how about you replay the show for free like ABC and CBS do with their hits?

Las Vegas: Color this a cheesy, guilty pleasure that I would have dropped if it hadn’t been for tivo.

Numb3rs: I think I watch this one for my mom. It’s a decent Friday night crime drama with math and my consolation for being the daughter of a math teacher, with a BA in English. (Insert “What Do You Do with a B.A. in English” joke here).

Crossing Jordan: If NBC ever puts it back on the air. I have always liked this one and actually picked it over Grey’s Anatomy.

Before there is a brouhaha…I know that I am missing LOST, Prison Break, Bones, the Wire, Weeds and a bunch others. I am pretty sure that I will get to them eventually, but they seem to be destined for NetFlix viewing for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Actually, if my own version of Tivo (Comcast 100-hour DVR) weren't stuffed with every episode of all four seasons of The Wire, I might watch a lot more shows!

By the way, I know who killed Lily! I figured it out (sort of) when Veronica saw the camera in the poolhouse.