Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bono, Will You Marry Me?

So, I admit that as a little girl there were few things that I wanted in life. I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. (...and train dolphins and have an orangutang...) I wanted to change my name to Julie and marry Ryne Sandberg. I wanted to be the lead singer of a band. I wanted to change the world.

I grew up in the "Just Say No," "We are the World," Hands Across America, Live Aid, Farm Aid and Band Aid generation. My parents (well, my mom, really) were wannabe hippies who listened to folk music that set out to make a difference. I followed their lead and latched on to Midnight Oil, John Mellancamp, Bruce Springsteen and U2.

U2. They were (and still are) my passion. It seemed like they wrote what I wanted to say and they believed in the world where I wanted to live. And so in my life, I have seen them as many times as I could afford.

Which brings me to Wednesday night at the United Center and the U2 Vertigo Tour. While I would never recommend seeing a concert with an ear infection, I would also never miss a chance to see my heroes on stage. They were, as always, excellent showman. Invoking passion. Invoking their message. Are they a bit preachy? Yes. But I would rather have a band that puts its money and its heart where its mouth is than a band that wallows in a sea of controversy and chaos.

The concert did not disappoint. They played their new music and mingled it with old favorites. Watching them is like watching the evolution of my life. Jen said that she was full of nostalgia watching the show. As was I, but also full of such joy at the potential life to come.

40 (words and music by U2)

I waited patiently for the Lord.
He inclined and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay.

I will sing, sing a new song.
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long, how long, how long
How long to sing this song?

You set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm.
Many will see, many will see and hear.

I will sing, sing a new song.
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song.
I will sing, sing a new song
How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am so glad we went! And nice ending to your post! Hope you are feeling better, my girl. See you soon!