Monday, February 19, 2007

I've Built My World Around You

I just read that after tonight's episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, the show is going on an indefinite hiatus. In television speak, that's not good. This is strange and ironic, because it has only been within the last month or so that I have become a fan of the show. Which is even odder, since I was a huge advocate for it this summer.

Here's the back story: Netflix and Networks in their brilliance have been making pilots of shows available before they air. Such a smart tactic. I rented the pilot of Studio 60 this summer and was instantly obsessed. The pilot was so good. It was edgy and though-provoking and everything I loved about Sports Night and West Wing rolled into a new show with people that I love to watch - Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford, Timothy Busfield... I was excited for it to start. I even sent a note to all my Netflix friends to get them on board.

When the new television season started, I watched the first few episodes and then drifted away from it. It wasn't that it was bad, but I just wanted it to be more. Such a great cast, such a good writer and still, it seemed like it was missing something. I left it, which is sad, because I never abandon Matthew Perry, even when he is starring is such gems like Fools Rush In and Three to Tango.

Then, a miraculous thing happened...the Bears beat New Orleans, I had the Monday off (thank God) and my Tivo had recorded a Studio 60 marathon while I was watching the game. It seemed like destiny as I recline on my couch, nursing a hangover and catching up on Studio 60. It was like we had never parted and I reinvested myself into the show and began enjoying it. So much so, that I have looked forward to watching the new episode every week.

And, like so many things in my life, when I find myself enraptured by something, it is going away on indefinite hiatus. I'm not saying it is the greatest show ever. It needs work - it especially needs to stop beleaguering certain points. But, it is enjoyable. I like the cast. I like the banter between them - though Bradley Whitford is a bit of his West Wing character. (Quite frankly, that doesn't bother me too much, because I loved his West Wing character and I miss that show.) Maybe I am holding out hope that it will get better. Rationally, I know that Networks don't do that and they pull shows for less, but there is so much crappy tv on these days. I really wish that a miracle would happen. The show in one episode would get better, but I doubt that it will be the hail mary necessary.

And so it is going on indefinite hiatus. (Which really means it is off through the money-making part of the season and the un-aired episodes that are already paid for will get aired this summer - when barely anyone is watching). And I find that sad. Seems like good, intelligent shows get tossed or are in constant danger, while American Idol, Survivor, and even Rock Star: Whomever hold on season after season - well, maybe not Rock Star: Whomever, but you get the idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if people stopped watching Idol, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, etc. they would take it off the air...but too many people tune in week after week. I like Studio 60 too but from a seller's perspective, it is a whole lot easier to sell Deal or No Deal then it is to sell Studio 60...

Dea said...

I know. I don't blame the Networks. We would love to think there is a huge conspiracy Oliver Stone-style, but really they sell wht people watch. I blame people for thinking that American Idol is good television. Good television is MASH, All in the Family, Hill Street Blues, Cheers, NYPD Blue....it is intellient, innovative, entertaining, heartwarming and unique. It is not a show that searches for a new star by cutting down the dreams of everyone in its path.