Wednesday, February 21, 2007

7 for the Price of 1

Lately, I have started many a blog in my head and then forgotten them. This has led to me creating a list. However, now that I write things down, I seem to be drowning in topics. So, here are a bunch of things on my mind (Richard Roeper-style):

· For the last few days, Chicago has been experiencing a heat wave (a.k.a temperatures above freezing – insert angelic singing here). It has not snowed in several days either. The reason for the Skilling-report? It amazes me how much snow and ice is still on people’s sidewalks. People, you have had a weekend. You have had weather that melts snow. What is the problem? It is totally annoying to have to climb ginormous ice mounds to get to the bus stop. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I was a mother with small children – especially a stroller. Kudos to those that braved the elements and shoveled and salted. I applaud you.

· I have been working pretty hard the last few weeks trying to meet some deadlines. Last week, after a particularly long workday, I was so focused on getting on the train and getting home that I forgot to swipe my Chicago Card and walked smack into the turnstile. Slightly embarrassing and completely funny at the same time. I turned to make fun of myself with someone and cracked the following joke with the girl loading up her fare card: ‘guess it helps if I actually swipe my card.’ Yeah, I know, totally lame. She politely fake-laughed. I swiped my card and went on with my night. Really wish that someone were there to share in the humor of that moment.

· A woman in Pennsylvania delivered her baby into her sweatpants. She said she didn’t know what was happening until the baby was in her pants leg. Really? Not having any kids and having heard crazier stories than this, I can give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, doctors thought my mom was a tumor for the first 6 or so months of my grandma’s pregnancy. But, this was her 4th pregnancy. I’m thinking by the 4th kid, you have to have figured out some of the warning signs. (Best statement I have heard on this topic included a recommendation for kegels [sidebar Nat] and avoiding skirts.)

· Britney Spears. Lord. A month ago, did anyone think that K-Fed would seem the most normal of the two? Flashing. Shearing. Rehabbing. She’s going off the deep end a bit. And where are the kids? While mommy is out shenaniganing, where are her kids? If you thought she was a questionable mother when she kept forgetting the whole child-safety seat thing, what about now?

· The first Sumatran Rhino born in captivity since 1889 just took a bit of a road trip from the Cincinnati Zoo to Indonesia. The purpose of the trip is for the rhino to meet a female rhino, fall in love, preserve the species and help it grow. And I thought my family put dating pressure on me.

· Heather Mills is competing on Dancing with Stars.

· Shout out to the Carson Pirie Scott on State Street. One more icon store bites the dust. Wonder when it is all said and done if State Street will still be a great street.

No comments: