Sunday, February 04, 2007

For Me?

I came home from the bar tonight and there was a dozen white roses shoved in the outer door of my apartment building. For a brief moment, I thought that they were for me. I mean, really – a bouquet of my favorite colored roses at my house at 3 AM – how cool is that? I pulled them out of the door and looked at them. There was nothing on them to indicate the giver and receiver of these flowers.

Realistically, I knew they weren't for me. I don't really have anyone that would be leaving flowers at my door (at least not in my waking state). But for a second, it was a nice thought.

I didn't know what to do with the flowers, so I brought them inside and placed them in front of the mailboxes. I hope that they find their rightful owner.

Note: I wrote that at about 3 AM on Saturday - well really, Sunday morning. It is now Day 3 of White Roses Watch and no one has claimed them. At this point, they are just this sad looking brownish batch of flowers with no owner.

Last night I was relaying the story of the flowers to a few friends. My one friend said they were make-up flowers and that the recipient probably wasn’t home or wouldn’t let the apologizer have the chance to apologize. That’s a sad little spin on the story.

No comments: