Friday, July 01, 2005

To Veterans with Love

I wanted to take a moment to honor those that made the Fourth of July possible and those that protect our freedoms today. My hope is that we never forget those that served our country especially the veterans of World War I & II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War and the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hope we remember those that gave their lives so that we could be free. I hope that we never take for granted the democracy that our forefathers fought so hard to secure.

I extend my thanks to everyone in the military—past and present--for serving our country with strength and pride. A special thanks to those that fought in wars or “conflicts” that the people of their time did not understand or accept. How hard it must have been to leave everything that you knew and loved to fight in a faraway place because your country asked you. How much harder it must have been to return “home” to looks of scorn and indignation simply because you went.

It’s strange how the years blur the memories and people forget. A field trip to a memorial seems to make everything better. I wonder as they walk the tribute, if they pause to think about those living silently in their memories. The ones that carry the burden of loss and suffering like they used to carry their gear – on their backs and in silent agony. Do they realize these soldiers’ contributions and sacrifices? Do they understand?

All that we are and all that the future holds is because there were and are young men and women who believe in and are willing to die for our country, our freedom and our flag. That is nothing to take lightly.

On a personal note, I want to thank my Dad for serving his country when called to do so--it is your integrity and sense of duty that have always impressed me. You saw #35 come quickly in the winter of 1970 and without thought, fulfilled your duty to your country. I am honored and proud to have you as a dad.

We took a trip to DC as a family this summer and to experience the Wall with him is something that I will never forget. To see it through the eyes of someone who saw more than anyone should in one lifetime is to have your heart swell with pride and break at the same time. He is my hero. To him and all of the heroes and heroines of this great nation, I salute you.

Happy Fourth of July!


"A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors and the men it remembers." President John F. Kennedy (10/26/1963)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make a good point! As I listened to the fireworks boom away into the sky last night, I wondered if the kids that oohed and awed knew the true meaning behind Independence Day.