Wednesday, June 29, 2005

29 and Neil Diamond

I love Neil Diamond. There. I said it. Jazz Singer was the tape most played on family road trips. My sister, my cousin and I had an air guitar band that played Neil Diamond—of course, we also played Twisted Sister, Billy Joel, the Beastie Boys and Paula Abdul. Neil Diamond though…there was something about him. He was always the best. So here we are. It is the summer of my 29th birthday and I find myself feeling nostalgic and longing for the glory days—sorry for the obvious Springsteen reference. And so I am going to spend my birthday with Neil (well, okay, the day after my birthday).

I think the thing that I am most excited about is the flashback to my past. It is heading back to a time when things made sense. Life was about ice cream and slip n’ slides on a hot summer’s day and catching fireflies when the sun went down. It was a love of Star Wars and Space Camp. It was spending Friday nights popping popcorn with my Mom and watching Dallas. It was Cabbage Patch Kids and Pac Man and roller-skating and riding bikes. It was a time when you knew that your Dad was the most important man you would ever meet. It was a time when you believed that life would never get better; "I Love You"
was something you said to the people in your life without even thinking; faith and trust was something that you had in everyone.

I know that Neil can’t bring that all back, but I look forward to rewinding time – if only for a few hours – and remembering all that is good and wonderful about life. And I am going to sing Cherry Cherry, Sweet Caroline, September Morn’, Hello Again and America at the top of my lungs with the people that remind me the most about all that is good – my mom and my friend Jen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so sweet. I am going to remind you of that when you get embarrassed that I am hootin' and hollerin' like an idiot...can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Did you have to tell EVERYONE that you watched Dallas with me?
I'll get out the old ND tapes and be all ready with you. Maybe I'll even watch the movie again.
Mom