Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Swallowed the Jagged Little Pill

10 years ago, Jagged Little Pill was the CD that every girl owned. We embraced the "You Can't Do That On Television" alum as our voice. She wrote the words that we didn't have the courage to say and sang with the anger that we all felt at times. I was a sophomore in college and had just broken up with my first love. Alanis was my venting CD. I confess to playing the song with the extra lyrics about dancing in the shower a few too many times.


Flash forward 10 years... Since Alanis first found things ironic, a lot has happened in my life. I graduated college and began a career in the dreaded Corporate America. I moved to the big city with roommates and then into my own place. I owned my first car. I lost one of my best friends, Leon, a year after I graduated. My first love married. (That was harder than I would ever like to admit). Friends have come into my life and moved away.

I sit and think of all that has changed around me and I wonder why I still feel the same. I still feel like an insecure little kid; I still look at people and wish that I could get myself put together better; I still wonder what I am going to be when I grow up.

10 years older and I am revisiting the Jagged Little Pill of my younger years. Alanis has done the same thing. The lyrics are the same, but there is a serenity to the songs. They are beautiful and haunting. 10 years has changed us both and yet sometimes I think I am exactly the same. Only older and viewing life through slightly wiser eyes.

No comments: