Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's just for the first time, I feel ... wicked

I have been once again obsessing over a costume for Halloween. It is hard to be an intelligent girl at Halloween. You want to find a costume that morphs you into something feminine and alluring. You want guys to be entranced by you and your costume. You want to be a little wicked. Yet, when you go shopping there are the costumes that do not flatter at all and then there are hooker versions of every childhood character or toy. This year popular costumes include slutty versions of Strawberry Shortcake, Dorothy, Snow White, Cinderella, Rainbow Brite, Little Red Riding Hood, as well as the ever popular slutty Doctor, Nurse, Police Girl, Super Girl, Wonder Woman and Daisy Duke.

Why is it that sexy means that my butt is hanging out of a too short dress and my breasts are falling out of my too tight top? Maybe it is me. Back in the day (a.k.a. when I was skinnier), I would have worn the Dorothy or the Rainbow Brite costume. But now, I look at them and I wince. I remember going out Halloween last year (I wore my dad's army dress uniform)and looking at all the women out. They were all dressed alike. They were all doing Jaeger Bombs. They were all trying too hard to get noticed.

I like a Halloween costume that is feminine, but assured. I think this is how Elphaba popped into my head. One listen to "Defying Gravity" and you know that she is not only determined, but also a very feminine character. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. Really. Dressing as a witch, with a feminine flair and a subtle beauty and innocence. Seemed perfect. Until I realized the amount of green body paint that would be involved. Some well-meaning friends have pointed out that I could be a mess by the end of the night. Another suggested that I go as Glinda, since there is no body paint involved. Now, I am back to square one. Trying to find the perfect identity for 24 hours. Anyone got any bright ideas?!?

No comments: