Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Damn, it's on the South Side

Well, it's World Series time and it is coming to Chicago. It's a once in a lifetime experience. (Especially in Chicago). It's good for the economy. It brings pride to the city. It's the damn White Sox. Why did it have to be the White Sox?

People are mad that I am struggling with this. I should cheer for the city. Really? That is the thing that most Sox fans hate about Cubs fans...they think we are not true fans of the game. I think they would respect me for struggling a bit--for not jumping on the bandwagon. It's not that I am cheering against the Sox (well, not entirely), it's just that I am sad. The Red Sox! Now the White Sox! And the lone loser holding up the wall at prom without a date? The Cubs =0( I think if Boston hadn't won in such fine fashion last year and if the Cubs hadn't lost in such heartbreaking fashion in 2003, it would be a different story. It's just a hard pill to swallow.

Will I watch the games? Of course. Will part of me cheer for the White Sox? Sure. I have always liked them--just not with the intensity that I love the Cubs. It's just, you know, why couldn't it have been the Cubs? (Not that I am whining--well, maybe I am a little). I am happy for the city. Just tired of waiting until next year.

To Mark and Deb and all my Sox Fan friends, congrats! May the best team win! Special thanks to Mark for believing that next year really will be the Cubs year! (Logically, if Boston and the White Sox can get there, it must be the Cubs turn!)

No comments: