Friday, November 11, 2005

Proud to Be An American

After photography class tonight (another fun filled evening of test strips and contact sheets), I stopped by the local pub for a cocktail. Though it was Amateur Night at the OK Corral, I sat down and ordered a drink and began chatting with friends. We have a bar regular, Dave, that is a Vietnam Veteran. He comes in a few times a week, drinks a coke and then tonic water and then rolls to a blues bar. He is a sweet guy and I love talking to him. He reminds me a lot of my dad.

On his way out tonight, we wished him a Happy Veteran's Day. He stopped and thanked us and we struck up a conversation about his time in the service. Dave was there the same time that my dad was there. (In fact, I swear that they were in the same places). He told us a few stories about c-rations, battles and wounds received. It was phenomenal to sit in the presence of living history and hear views from an eyewitness. The more he talked, the more I was appreciative of his service and in awe of his efforts. Like my dad, he didn't necessarily want to go, but he did and he served our country proudly.

So, on this Veteran's Day, I say thank you to all those who have served our country. Regardless of the war and the reasons for it, I am proud of every man and woman who has donned a uniform in service of the USA. I thank you for the freedoms that you defend and the honor with which you defend them. Personally, I would like to thank my dad and the countless members within our family who have fought in every war this nation has ever fought. Thanks to Dave, for his service and for reminding me of the importance of taking a moment to remember and give thanks to those who served. Thanks to Kelly's (my best friend) husband, Greg, who is currently serving in Iraq--may he and all his fellow comrades be kept safe and may they come home soon. Thanks to my first crush and close friend, Jimmy, who has proudly served in the Navy for as long as I can remember. Thank you to the countless men and women that are in the service today. You are the reason that I am proud to be an American.

I would like to pay a special tribute to my friend Mary's father, George Schutter, a proud Marine until the day he passed away. The Schutter Family parade on the 4th of July was one of my favorite holiday events, because it was a true show of patriotism. Each year the family would gather to celebrate this nation. The parade—which evolved from a few people banging pots and pans to 30-40 people, waving flags, singing songs and pulling floats—was my favorite part. It was a stroll around the neighborhood like you have never seen before, as people came out to watch the celebration. I loved that I could be there for it and walk in the parade as an honorary member of the family. My greatest honor was the year that Mr. Schutter gave me the American Flag to carry in the parade. Knowing how he felt about America, the flag and the Marines made me swell with pride. I walked proudly and carefully along the route and cherished every step. Sadly, and way too soon, Mr. Schutter passed away this summer. His family lost a wonderful husband, father, grandfather and this country lost a beloved patriot and proud veteran. I want to thank him for his service and devotion. He exemplified all that is good about this country and our servicemen and women. Semper Fi, Mr. Schutter! Semper Fi!

Happy Veteran’s Day!

No comments: