Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I went in seeking clarity.

It was a pretty slow night for a Monday at the local tavern. Aside from my friend, Natalie, there was a drunken Englishman and a bunch of strange faces. In order to entertain ourselves, we started talking about songs and what are favorite songs would be. We tasked ourselves with identifying our 5 favorite songs of all time.

Of course, as we were writing, we added stipulations, such as "...these are really the songs that speak to me now, not necessarily my all-time favorite." and "...I love these songs, but there are more that I would add...” And so, we came up with 5 songs that are important to us for whatever reason.

My 5 Songs

With or Without You (U2): Aside from being U2, this song has always been haunting and hopeful to me. It is in my will (a paper that I wrote and gave to my mom, before I had surgery) that it will be played at my funeral.

Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): I like the Indigo Girls version of this as well, but there is something matter-of-fact about Dire Straits' version. It tells the story in a "looking back with regret" way.

Joking (Indigo Girls): Most Indigo Girls' songs tell a great story. I love this song for the following lines: "...you said good friends are hard to come by i laughed and bought you a beer 'cause it's too corny to cry..."

Out to Get You (James): I can't explain this song. It is insecurity and a fear of being lonely and the search for you.

Leaving on a Jet Plane (Peter, Paul and Mary): My dad wants to be rolled out of the church to this song. It came out the year my parents met and has always been a part of their life. As a kid, we were forced to go to PP&M concerts every summer at Ravinia. It grows on you.

3 comments:

Dea said...

I love the list of songs! Thanks for posting them. Anyone else have a list to add...

Anonymous said...

Just a side note - as your sister -"Leaving on a Jet Plane" is not what Dad wants to be rolled out of church in...that song is "And When I Die" by Three Dog Night

Dea said...

My sister not only felt the need to post a response, but she also called me to tell me about my error. I stand by my selection though. He wants "And When I Die" played at the funeral (I promised to sing it) and he wants to be rolled out to "Leaving On A Jetplane." A morbid argument I realize, but a fun squabble between sisters. On a side note, I enjoy the fact that my sister gave this rambling blog a read.