Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I want to stick it to the Cardinals

This has been one of those up and down Cubs seasons -- as per usual -- and the best thing has been Derek Lee. As a fan of baseball, I love him taunting me with his high 380's batting average. I wonder if it will go higher. Can he touch Ted Williams? I want him to get the Triple Crown. I think that would be fan-freaking-tabulous. I also want him to be an All-Star. I know. I know. It is a popularity contest. It is stupid. It is overrated. I have heard it all. I have probably said some of it too. I still want him to take the ballot. Pujols is good, but Lee is better this year. On a side note, he would be the first infielder to be voted to the All-Star Game from the Cubs since Ryne Sandberg. While Ryne was my "dress-up husband" as a kid, I stopped being "Julie Sandberg" long ago. (The story behind the name is fun for another day). I think it would be damn great to Lee get there. I know it would make me actually watch the game.

Now to the unnamed cynics (or truth-tellers) who have already told me I am crazy, I know I am. I know that he will lose the "popular" vote. The whole thing is silly. I mean, Nomar “ouch my groin” Garciaparra was leading the vote for a long time and he hasn’t played the better part of the season. But, I have been a Cubs fan my whole life -- we don't believe in reality. We believe that one year (usually next year) we will prove everyone wrong.

To quote the cute kid in Angels in the Outfield -- "It could happen!"


http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1104506&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Duuuude...what do you mean, if Lee makes it you "might actually watch the game"? The All-Star game is the best of all the all-star games in all sports. I don't care an entire team of LaTroy Hawkins is out there, I'm tuning in (alone in DC on blasted business trip, that is...)