Thursday, May 17, 2007

On the right side of life...

Several years ago, I was looking for a new apartment. It was to be my first one-bedroom and I was looking for a diamond in the rough, as much as I was looking forward to the possibility of no roommates. I searched high and low for a new apartment and finally found what I was looking for (shameless U2 reference, sorry).

After viewing the place and gathering the paperwork, I walked back to my car. I called my friend Tif to tell her all about my potential new home. As I walked around to the driver's side to get into my car, I realized that a huge chunk of my front end was missing. It seems that my parked car was the unfortunate victim of a clipping violation called on a rental truck. I was lucky that the driver of the truck left a note. Believe me, that is a rarity. I took some pics of the car (my dad made me, just in case) and called the number on the note.

The gentleman who hit my car was shocked that I wasn't angry. I told him, there wasn't any point to getting mad. The car was already damaged. I was just grateful that the person who hit the car was honest and left a note. He was surprised by my reaction. Which is sad. Why do we let ourselves worry, get frustrated and angry over things that have happened or those things that are out of our control? What good does it bring?

In that regard, what do you do when you sleep through your alarm and miss your flight? A flight destined for sunnier climates, relaxation and fun with friends? And the standby list is long? And you waited in the airport for nothing? And your luggage is en route on the vacation you are supposed to be taking, because it didn't have to fly standby? Get angry? Why? Its too late to change the course of the day? I say embrace the hilarity of it all and move forward. Don't let the anger hold you back.
Kudos to T. for doing just that. In the face of a vacation missed, he came up with these little bits of joy...

1) I have a $299 travel voucher. (Sucks that I had to pay $399 to get it…)
2) Long Term parking only cost me $6. (This almost cancels my loss on the travel voucher)
3) I will not be discovered by a Hollywood agent and let success go to my head.
4) I will not break my neck surfing; Probably wasn't going to surf, but now I can guarantee I won't.
5) I get to watch the Bulls tonight and the hockey game on Saturday and Monday.
6) My luggage is going on a great trip to the left coast. I hope it hooks up with a hot samsonite!

On a side note, upon returning home, T. realized that he had left his deodorant, gel and razor at home. So, he also gets to smell good and be clean-shaven this weekend as well. Which is another plus – at least for all of his friends.

Here’s to a weekend filled with the little bits of joy that make it all worthwhile.

1 comment:

Jen G said...

Wow- you were prolific since I last visited here!

I want more stories like this!

PS- I saw T. on Saturday and I gotta say, he did not look clean-shaven though...