Monday, June 19, 2006

Stop Pulling My Pigtail

2006 has been abundant with guy drama for me. It started on New Year's Eve and has gotten progressively worse. My problem is that I see the good in a guy, even if they are not always good. (That has been my flaw since freshman year of college). I think that the past 6 months of misadventures might been a season's worth of Sex in the City. (Minus all the randy behavior).

I keep finding myself in situations in which I like a guy and then the quiet shy girl in me from grade school rears her ugly head. And my friends all read this and are wondering how in the hell I am quiet and shy, but when it comes to guys, I am. And when I am shy (and especially when I like someone), I get nervous and with nervous comes the false bravado that is intimidating and off-putting. It is my defense mechanism and it sucks sometimes. I end up watching the guy like someone else, because I was scary girl.

And before Tom reads this and yells at me for being all mopey, let me say this: I am in the Summer of the Year I turn 30 and I like my life. I am happy and content with my job and friends. I love my family. I am blessed with good health and I have a lot going for me. But, to wax Little Mermaid, I want more.

I want to like a guy that sees me and not my friend. (And better yet, sees me as more than a friend, since I get stuck in that category a lot). I want him to recognize that I am smart, kind, witty, stubborn, lovable, loving, compassionate, funny, serious, joyful, sad, honest, a sports addict, a movie lover, a good cook, a good friend and a good partner. I want him to see me as the piece that completes him. I want the courage to approach him and not be scared.

I am tired of the bs and the games. I am done with coy. I know that everyone that has someone says that when you find it, it all falls into place. There are no rules regarding days until you call someone. There isn't a specific first date protocol. There is no worry if he is really into you. It all comes together. The two become a whole. I believe that. I really do. Everyone thinks that I am jaded, but really I am quite the opposite. I really believe that I will find that person that (sorry for the second Jerry McGuire moment in as many paragraphs) completes me. I just wish I knew when. I really just wish it were sooner rather than later.

See, the thing is, while I like my independence, I wish that I had someone to depend on...other than my family and friends. Yesterday, when my car was dead, I had to think of how to get it started and to the mechanic. Two weeks ago, when I saw the mouse, I had to buy and set the traps. And no, I don't want a guy to do all the dirty work, but it would be nice to feel like I had someone to count on in that way. Someone who would problem solve for me every now and again. Someone who would say: "Don't stress D, I know you can handle it, but for once, let me help you. I'll take care of it." Someone who makes a really bad situation better and not worse. I guess, I really am just looking for someone who wants to be with me, flaws and all, and really wants to be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well said. And you are attractive--which you know--and deserve all of those things that you want. But don't sell yourself short because some shallow bar guy can't get past thinking he deserves a super model type.
As for having them not see you just as a friend, I think we have to sending the friend vibe. I'll let you know if I figure this one out!

Dea said...

It reminds me of the quote from Friends. It was a conversation between Joey and Ross re: Rachel. Joey cautioned Ross about the FRIEND ZONE.

JOEY: Because you waited too long to make your move, and now you're in the friend zone.
ROSS: No, no, no. I'm not in the zone.
JOEY: Ross, you're mayor of the zone.

Pretty sure I'm in the same zone. And yes, if anyone figures that one out, clue me in =0)