Thursday, May 17, 2007

Touching a hand, wondering why

Do you know where you were on February 28, 1983? If you were of TV viewing age, you were probably watching the final episode of MASH. Watched by 125 million people it is the most watched episode of a television series history – at least according to my trusty Wikipedia. Throughout its 11 years, we grew to know the people that made up the 4077 and that 2 ½ hour episode gave us the chance to say “Goodbye, Farewell and Amen” to them.

Similarly, I remember watching the series finale of Family Ties. I remember Alex getting ready to move away from home for his first big job. I remember the packing and the crying. I remember tearing up a bit as we watched the actors come out for their final bows. It was a bit strange to say goodbye to a family that I felt like I had grown up alongside.

As I have gotten older, I have said a lot of TV goodbyes. To Cheers, Dawson Creek, 90210, Friends, Seinfeld, Sex in the City, West Wing…some stayed a bit too long, some left a bit too soon. Each one, though, gave me a finale. An ending. A culmination to all the years I had spent with them. Through the years, I saw Diane come back and each character impart one final quip or one last word of wisdom. I saw Joey and Pacey get together and Dawson write his movie. I saw David and Donna finally get married. I saw George, Jerry, Kramer and Elaine end up in prison, contemplating their lives and their impact. I saw Monica and Chandler get their babies, Ross and Rachel reunite and Joey go after his dream (too bad his dream was another bad sitcom). I saw Mr. Big a.k.a John (the only time his name is mentioned in the series) come to his senses and win Carrie back, Miranda become a loving caretaker, Charlotte get a baby and Samantha have a relationship. I saw the dawning of a new regime and a new President. For each show, I saw the end the way I had always thought it should be. I saw everything wrap up.

Thus, this recent trend of canceling long running shows with no pomp, no circumstance, no warning is killing me a bit. Not renewing the Gilmore Girls and Crossing Jordan left me with episodes that seemed like they were trying to tie up loose ends, but without enough time. While they were series finales, they felt like season finales. (The Gilmore Girls cast didn’t know the show was canceled until after they had shot the final scenes). Crossing Jordan had people just on the brink of new beginnings, but there seemed to be so many more possibilities. It seemed like it ended too soon.

And now, my Veronica Mars is gone. One of my favorite shows of the last few years and the only one I really look forward to every week. It was witty. It was fast. It was smart. It was sassy. It was doomed. And what of it now? Next week’s season finale is its series finale? To be honest, I had an inkling it was coming. The writing was on the wall. My favorite TV site, Spoiler Fix, said it might happen. But I kept holding out hope. I tried to believe that the stupid CW wouldn’t think that The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll was quality television. I hoped that they would want people to tune in for more than Beauty and the Geek and Friday Night Smackdown. I was wrong.

And now, one of the best and brightest shows out there is ending. Where is my buildup? Where is my countdown to the finale? Where is my goodbye, farewell and amen?

1 comment:

Jen G said...

You were the one that turned me on to V.M. and I am equally sad that she is gone. Can't I get the FBI show with her that was rumored? Something?

Sigh.